Data rates

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Nov 2 18:36:59 CST 2002

Ok, well T1's have come way down, and with competition from Cable and DSL,
it's not really a surprise.

Still, I think you people are nuts when you yell about the pricing.  I
haven't seen the numbers, but I know that TimeWarner is not projecting a
profit on their RoadRunner operation for a number of years - and they
already have 90% of the cable in place.  Still, there are the routers, there
are the server farms they were clearly not prepared to deal with, and there
is the external connectivity, which they have to buy from somebody.

Now I'm all for it if somebody can prove that a provider can earn a
reasonable return on 1.5M symmetrical for $120 a month - sign me up!  But I
think that $30 - $40 per month is pretty much the minimum you'll see.

I know what I get paid as a sysadmin and as a consultant, and I have to deal
with end-user support, so I have some idea why they charge so much for
static IP's over dynamic.  It's not just an "incentive" price, that's why
it's as easy for them to give you five as one.

Of course, some of you guys would be complaining about the quality of
service on a free T1, so...