samba/redhat8.0

Aldis A. Tuck aldisnt at netscape.net
Fri Nov 1 12:36:25 CST 2002

Greetings,
Im having trouble with samba in RH8.
This is what I have for my smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = foo
security = share
valid user = %s
encrypt passwords = no
server string = foo
local master = yes
os level = 33
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes

[windows public share]
comment = public share file
read only = no
path = /usr/local/windows public share
public = yes

Thats it, it is pretty simple but I dont need much just to veiw and copy
files back and forth.
My problem is this:  I goto network neighborhood, goto the windows
workgroup, goto the linux box, I can see the windows public share
folder.  I try to open it and get this:  \Localhostwindows public
share is not accessible.
The share name was not found.  Be sure you typed it correctly.

I have no idea what Im missing, the above .conf file is one of my many
attempts to get this working.
I used to have samba working once and then I stopped using it for a few
weeks( I have no memory of my previous Linux life)  All I want is a
simple file share for now, no passwords no users just simple public
shares,   This should be working from what I can see.  I have a windows
public share file in my /usr/local directory so why cant it find it?
It's always hard for me to know if it is a windows problem or a samba
problem....errr!

Note to Jared:  I am unable to pull up the trios/ilug site, could you
check my account to see whats wrong, it screwed up when I was looking at
the different themes for my personal home page, my account name is
aldisnt, thanks.

Thanks all,
Kind Regard,