off-topic: phone hangups

Bob Batson rcb at kc.rr.com
Fri May 31 20:20:46 CDT 2002

At 11:02 PM -0500 5/30/02, Kendric Beachey wrote:

>On Thursday, 30 May 2002 22:39, Seth Dimbert wrote:
>>  This whole Telemarketing thing strikes a nerve with me since I work in a
>>  similar industry.
>
>While we're striking nerves here, some of what you said struck some of mine.

[snip]

>All this reminds me:  I saw a little telephone gadget for sale a couple years
>ago--you would hook it up to your phone, and when a telemarketer would call,
>you'd press a button on the gadget and put the phone back on the hook.

There was a lengthy discussion about a device called the TeleZapper on
Slashdot a while back. It can be found at
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/10/15/174246&mode=flat&tid=158
Some folks suggested recording a "Standard Intercept Tone" (SIT)
preceeding your message on your answering machine. SIT is the tone you
hear just before "We're sorry, the number you have reached has been
disconnected or is no longer in service." Usually, telemarketing
autodialers will disconnect and delete your number from their
database when they heart a SIT tone.

You can hear this tone at http://www.flash.net/~carlton2/sit.wav

--

Bob Batson                            L 39 12 14 N 94 33 16 W
rcb at kc.rr.com                         Gladstone, MO