ieee1394

Bob Stocker bstocker at bloodtip.org
Wed May 29 14:21:36 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 08:56, Gene Dascher wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience getting ieee1394 (Firewire) working under
> Linux?  I have found some programs that will allow me to pull video from my
> digital video camera, edit them, and convert them to MPEGs to create VCDs.
> BUT I need to get my OHCI compliant card working first.  The ieee1394 kernel
> modules exist, I can insmod them, but still can't access the card.
>
> I am running Mandrake 8.2 with Kernel 2.4.18smp.
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

Hi,
I've had it working before using Debian, but now for some reason with
Gentoo I can't capture video no matter how I try :(.  In any case,
you'll need libraw1394 for raw access to the card and libavc1394 for
video and probably libdv for the compressed dv used in most
consumer-grade cameras.  You'll also need to create appropriate /dev
entries if you're not using devfs.  From what I've read, 1394's working
status vacillates from kernel to kernel (maybe that's why it worked for
me with 2.4.17 and not with 2.4.18).
I really wish there was more/better support for this under Linux -
Broadcast 2000 has always been flaky at best (and is now no longer under
development), kino is in such library/dependency flux that it often
won't even compile for me, and MainActor last time I tried it was, well,
unfinished.  I'd say best bet right now is to use dvgrab for capture to
avi and then re-encode with transcode.
For more info, check out http://linux1394.sourceforge.net

Good luck, and please let the list know about your progress!

-Bob