Installing Utilities/Programs

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri May 24 13:01:57 CDT 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, jose sanchez wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm so what confused or clueless on how to do the
> following:
>
> I have some utilities I would like to install on a
> system: Crack and PortSentry; this machine doesn't
> have any compiler or linker. I have a webserver
> running on this system.
>  I know that you can compile a Kernel on separate
> systems and just copy the bzImage file to the other.
> Can the samething be accomplished with these and other utilities/program?

That's how installable packages (e.g. RPMs and debs) work - someone on a
system similar to yours compiles an application, and creates a package
that lets you add that application to your system.  What OS and
distribution are you using? It's possible that precompiled Portsentry and
Crack packages exist for your system.

BTW, is there any reason you want to use the (older, slower) Crack as
opposed to the (newer, faster, more featureful) John the Ripper?