Cron-based Backup

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Mon May 13 17:13:18 CDT 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Seth Dimbert wrote:

> I've got a site hosted on a Shared Server. They give me access to a Control
> Panel (domain.com/cpanel) and it has modules to schedule cron jobs. The cron
> panel asks for a schedule and a command, so I guess I need to install a
> backup script then call it from the cron panel.
>
> Can anyone suggest a backup script?

Mine is pretty lame, but a quicky.  I've attached three files: "Backup"
is the script itself, while the other two (provided just as an example
here) show how I configure which files/directories to backup, and those
to exclude as well.

Have a look at the values assigned in the script, modify it to suit your
behavior, and test it.  If it looks happy, add an entry for cron.

If you get lost, do "man tar" for the tar man page.

Dustin
--
Occam's eraser:
"The philosophical principle that even the simplest