Linux friendly local ISP?

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu May 9 03:58:11 CDT 2002

You should NOT use CAT5 for voice or analog data phone lines.  It has
the wrong impedance and you will actually suffer slower modem
connections than if you buy average quality twisted pair phone cable.

CAT5 was designed for low voltage high speed digital signals.  Phone
wire (twisted pair) was designed for higher voltage analog voice signals
and higher voltage (70+) ringer operation.