nic recommendations

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed May 8 21:47:09 CDT 2002

I have never had a problem with a "good" nic. Although I have heard of
people having problems.
The last nic I bought was so new that I had to upgrade my kernel to make
it work, but once the kernel was upgraded it was transparent. I
generally use 3com nics. I never had to anything special to install a
modern 3com nic. I use 3c905s mostly . Try not to use a super new or
super old nic. If you see one you are interested in, check the "lhd"
(http://lhd.datapaower.com) to see what the rating is. Most nics plug
and play in Linux, some older ones have funky behavior, some newer ones
require new modules.
I have asound cards (required 2.4.14 or something, new new chipset)
and 3com 3c905b cards. Both work flawlessly.

Some other good cards/chips are:
realtek chipset cards, esp. rtl8139 (el cheapo cards, well supported and
common)
tulip chipset cards.

$0.02,
Brian