Meeting reminder

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Wed May 1 18:01:34 CDT 2002

This is the machine I might bring tonight, if I can get away from the house.
It's an old 486 that I want to resurrect with Linux. But, upon boot, it's
got problems.

Here's what I see when it boots:

----

486 DX/SX ISA Bios Version 6.12 02/07/92

Total Memory Found: 16000 Kb
Base: 640 Kb, Reserved: 0 Kb, Extended: 15360 Kb

WARNING - UNEXPECTED AMOUNT OF MEMORY FOUND - RUN SETUP

----

If I ignore the warnings and skip setup, the machine runs fine. I think
that, in setup, I can tell the machine how much RAM there is, and that the
machine then checks. And, somehow, the setup has been told that the total
RAM is different than what the PC sees, but it's not smart enough to just
count for itself.

Maybe.

I've set the clock in the BIOS setup and then unplugged the machine before
rebooting; the clock stays set, so the batteries must be OK. I'm stuck.

Anyone have any idea what I might try?