Samba configuration

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Thu Mar 28 21:01:56 CST 2002

Hi all,

We are now running our company domain on Samba 2.2.3a (Mandrake 8.2).  The change over (upgrade??)
from NT much went without any major problems, but I do have one pain-in-the-butt issue.

We have an application that uses an Access .mdb file for it's data source, stored on our server.
The first user that opens the program creates the lock file (.ldb), with user=rw group=r other=r
rights. The next person that attempts to open the program can't, because they do not have write
rights to the lock file.

Right now, I have to change the rights on the lock file manually, and since the lock file is
deleted when the last person logs out, it's a hassle.

I'm sure there is a way to change the rights on a file created by samba, but I'm not sure how to do
it.  I've added a umask command to the .bashrc file that gives the correct rights when I touch from
bash, but it does not give me the same thing when I create a file from Samba.  Reading through the
samba docs, I've come accross some smb.conf parameters that might do the job (Force Create Mode,
Inherit Permissions, etc.), but I can't come up with any good examples of how to use them.

Thanks,

Chris Midkiff
chris at datacaptech.com