VPN How-To

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Wed Mar 27 14:27:43 CST 2002

I assume you mean an IPSec VPN (and not PPTP or L2TP).  The documentation
for the latest version of FreeS/WAN (a popular IPSec implementation for
Linux) is available at

    http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.95/doc/index.html

I'm not aware of any "VPN HOWTOs" out there.  Writing a good one would be
difficult - there are so many variables involved with IPSec that it would
be irresponsible to say "follow these steps, and you'll have a working,
secure VPN, guaranteed."

Having said that, the OpenBSD and Cisco sites (among others) have some
really good introductory documentation on IPSec:

    http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/IPSECpart1.html

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/sqso/eqso/dplip_in.htm

I've deployed IPSec VPNs using PIXen and Altigas, but not under Linux.
The Altigas are about as plug-and-play as you can get - I recommend them
highly.