Permissions Question

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Thu Mar 21 17:34:56 CST 2002

On Mar 21 11:17, Seth Dimbert wrote:
> I appreciate everyone's input regarding security... the server in question
> is only accessible through our LAN and nobody even really knows it's there.
> So I'm not worried.
>
> Unrelated question: When I ftp in to the server, I use a user I created
> called Webmaster. He has ownership and rights to all the appropriate
> directories (/var/www). But, when I ftp in, I end up in /home/webmaster and
> have to climb up and over to the right directory.
>
> Plus, when I try to use a webcam client to auto-upload pictures of our call
> center, it's unable to ftp into the appropriate directories.
>
> How to I set the ftp daemon to understand that I want the files put into
> /var/www/html and not /home/webmaster?
>
> -SD

ncftpput will let you tell it at the command line where to put the
files.  With a normal ftp client you need to "cd /dir/you/want" then put the
files in place.  lftp will do the same I believe.  If you use ncftp <hostname>
then cd to directory you want, then put the files.  It will ask to bookmark the
site when you log out. The next time you use ncftp to that site it will jump
straight to that directory.  In summary check out the following packages to
simplify the process.
        * ncftp
        * lftp

I hope this helps you.