Permissions Question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Mar 21 15:34:13 CST 2002

Install openssl and openssh.
Use ssh to login as your user id,
su to root and do your maintenance work.
This is what I use. Oh yeah ,and use SSH protocol 2 or TLS protocol.
Do not use protocol 1 it is not secure.

You could use password authentication in ssh, but
you should really create a server key and user keys and use
public key authentication.

You can then also use sftp (which is not really ftp, per se)
to do secure ftp connections. Telnet and ftp should never be allowed on
an internet site. Unless you are allowing anonymous download only access
to an ftp box (something I am against, generally; I'd rather see secure
anonymous ftp; but then I'm really paranoid; and so am I).

Brian