[OT] SendMail in NT

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Thu Mar 14 18:16:30 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Dimbert" <s.dimbert at fhmr.com>

> My website is hosted on an NT Server and I've installed a Message Board
that
> sends email to members. When I called tech support for my webhost and
asked
> them for a path to SendMail, they told me that their instructions say I
> must, "code a socket." But neither they nor I have any idea what that
means.

There is a utility for Exchange Server, I believe it's SMTPSEND.EXE - may
come in the Exchange Server Resource Kit or something like that.  There used
to be an SMTP utility that was meant to be used with MS Mail, but Microsoft
made that go away to force people to use Exchange.  I don't believe I have a
copy of either, but it should be possible to locate one.

Unfortunately, the utilities that your Message Board software wants don't
run on NT.  Usually, stuff that works with NT is not going to be freeware
(or even reasonably-priced-ware).  It's going to be very opaque, pay for it
and install it before you find out what it does or how it works, and
information is going to be hard to come by.  You may find it easier to do
your work if you can get your hosting transferred to a decent webserver.

Several security review firms and business analysts, including the Gartner
Group, have very strongly stated that NT is not an appropriate platform for
an Internet server.