an easy one

J. Eric Gilliland patzeric at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 19:59:18 CST 2002

It automatically boots to KDE wit me as the user.
THis is OK and what I want it to do.  I know how to
change the /etc/inittab file to make it automatically
boot to the colsole.  I wanted to know how to get back
to a pure console after having run KDE.

>Ctrl-Alt and F1 will get you a console.  However your
>KDE session will
>still
>be up in F7 if you want to switch back to it.  To
>restart your X-server
>use
>Ctrl-Alt Bkspce.  To completely kill your X session
>and have only
>console
>you will have to change /etc/inittab and set it to
>init level 3.
>
>Bill

SO other than setting my runlevel to 3 there is no way
to boot back to a 'pure' console (by wich I mean no
xwindows running in the background) after running KDE?

I guess the COntrol-Alt-Fkey thing will work fine.  I
generally just open a terminal anyway.  This is more
for curiosity.  I was wondering if Quake 3 might run
better if xwindows was not running, but for all I know
it might require xwindows.

Thanks for the assistance.

Eric Gilliland
--- Gene Dascher <gedascher at multiservice.com> wrote:
> The default runlevel is defined in /etc/inittab, eg:
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> When you cold boot the machine, does it
> automatically come up to
> KDE(runlevel 5), or do you get a console login
> prompt(runlevel 3)?
>
> If that doesn't help, I don't know where to go from
> there.
>
> Gene
> >
> > =====
> > J. Eric Gilliland
> > patzeric at yahoo.com
> > And gentlemen in England now a-bed
> > Shall think themselves accursed they were not
> here,
> > And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
> > That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.
> >                                   Henry V Act 4
> Scene 3

> > Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
> email!
> > http://mail.yahoo.com/
>

> majordomo at kclug.org
> Enter without the quotes in body of message

=====
J. Eric Gilliland