The Verdict

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Wed Mar 13 15:09:30 CST 2002

Ok, here's the verdict.  First of all, could someone forward me the any
emails that werereplied to the email I sent last night?  My email has been down, and I
didn't get them.
Qmail
SUCKS.  They say it's "easier to configure" than sendmail?!  Not hardly!
The installation isEXTREMELY involved, and frankly won't work on Redhat 7.2.  I tried
*everything*.  Wentthrough like 5 different tutorials, each describing the install a slightly
different way.  Ibuilt it from source, SRPMS, and pre-compiled RPMS.  None of it worked.  I
take that back, I didactually have it working for about 30 min, but only if I started it
manually (unacceptable)and could not get it to startup by itself (or on system start).  Once I
had it running though, Iwas able to create a folder, drop a mail item in it, and create a folder
underneath it (one of thefeatures I was looking for).

I tried for HOURS to get this thing to work - and finally gave up
at 1:30am.  As far as ease of configuration, as far as I'm concerned,
Sendmail whips it.  Thismorning, I threw in my RH7.2 CD, installed from RPM sendmail and
sendmail-cf, edited mysendmail.cf, adding two Cwdomain.com lines, and changed the listen port
address from127.0.0.1 to my IP.  Then, with a simple "/sbin/service sendmail start",
BINGO.  Instantemail.  Send and receive.  Closed relay.  Everything all set.

Qmail documentation sucks.
Go to the Qmail site.  Everything is all spread out, there seems to be no
"standard" place for itall.  Sure, you can get the tarball from there, but that's all.
Additional libraries arespread out over links that look like "Someone J. Else's site with RPMS
click here", and none ofit is up to date (most is YEARS old).

A google search pulls up the same tuts on different
sites, no help at all.  I'm sure Qmail is great and all (otherwise I
probably wouldn't have evenconsidered moving to it) but as far as (quoted from the Qmail home page)
"making Sendmailobsolete"?!?  SOMEONE's on crack!

I might give it a go, and change my stance on this
sometime, possibly in the near future, but I'm not going to get into it
without some help.Going into this, I EXPECTED it to work (as I have come to do with just
about all Linux software Iinstall - it's high quality stuff!) and have my email system down for a
max of 30 min or so.  30 minturned into 13.5 hours, and if I had any real users on my system
(especially ones who send memoney!) this would have been completely UNACCEPTABLE.  It still is,
since
I still considermyself and my wife users.

If any of you have *successfully* gotten Qmail installed on
RedHat 7.2 PLEASE let me know, and teach me your dark magic (since it
appears as that's what ittakes!)!!!

<sigh>  What a worthless ordeal.

-Lucas