IP address oddity

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 14:56:27 CST 2002

Here's a situation I've not encountered before, and it has me a
bit baffled. I'm hoping someone out there with more
knowledge/experience than I have will have some insights....

I installed several boxes from a ghost image (Norton Ghost 2002)
of RedHat 7.2. All are configured to get IP addressing through
DHCP. All are successful at eht0 configuration, but ALL come up
with THE SAME IP ADDRESS (10.1.2.69), AND
all are able to connect to the network and internet..at least
one at a time. I have done an ifdown and ifup, stop and
restarted the network, and they STILL get the same address. The
systems don't have any entry in a DNS server, and all are just
"localhost.localdomain"...I even changed the
hostname to something else (and rebooted - yuk), and the same
thing still happens. All have different MAC addresses, by the
way!

This is very strange and confusing, and I'm not sure what to do
about it. I reconfigured one machine with a different hostname,
a static IP on the NIC (edited the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eht0 file) stopped and
restarted the network, and xinetd. I still get the SAME DHCP
address! I can manually assign a different address, but that
kind of negates the benefit of DHCP...and also will require
obtaining static addresses and hand configuring each
install...seems there ought to be a "better" way....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!