Compiling

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Mar 4 18:51:53 CST 2002

Jonathan Hutchins [mailto:hutchins at opus1.com] wrote:
--snip--

> One thing that's not at all clear is that if you change
> kernels too much, your modules and library links change
> too, and unless you have more than one complete trees,
> you could end up unable to go back because your new
> modules won't work with your old kernel, or the new
> kernel wanted new libraries which over-wrote the old
> ones.  Developers deal with this by having the whole
> kernel/boot/module/library/compile tree in more than
> one place and version, but there are places where this
> has to be managed by manually switching links.

Some notes here.  The kernel is not dependent on any
libraries in order to run.  I also never move the
symlink in /usr/src to point to an newly built kernel
tree.  Those symlinks and include files belong to glibc,
and _not_ the kernel.  I _always_ build my kernels in
another location (/home/kernel/linux-x.y.x).

Also for modules, if you are building for a different
machine, you can do a INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$HOME, and the
make modules_install doesn't interfere with the modules
of the machine you are building on.

Hal Duston