sendmail mystery

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Sat Jun 29 16:26:14 CDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Can't get sendmail to accept connections.  RH7.3, all current patches.
>
> It's not sendmail: removed, reinstalled.  RH has a default DAEMON_OPTIONS
> lines that's supposed to prevent connections except from localhost.  Turned
> this off.  Verified on another host that turning this on and off indeed
> disables/enables connections other than localhost.  With it on, netstat-a
> shows the address localhost for the smtp port, with it off it shows a star.

This had me going for months.  I even thought RR was blocking port 25...

Sendmail's configuration file needs to be run with m4 after that line
about localhost being the only one allowed to talk is removed.  It should
have this mentioned in the comments section at the top if I remember
right. After m4 generates the real configuration file, restart sendmail
and it should start showing up on other hosts.