You want hardware, I've got hardware Re: What local computer shop do you

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Fri Jun 21 22:56:17 CDT 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, plastic quart wrote:

> DDR RAM (mostly Micron)
> 128Mb DDR PC-2100 -- $37
> 256Mb DDR PC-2100 -- $52
> 512Mb DDR PC-2100 -- $115

This is sick.  It seems like yesterday I spent $49.95 for 16KB of memory,
which was two circuit boards packed with 2K chips, and I was lucky enough
to have only one bit error.  I could only dream to have a machine with an
amazing 512KB for memory and here we have 512MB for pocket change.  4MHz
on a CISC Z80 was fast and I would have laughed at anything tht could be
done over 50MHz.  Gigahertz?  Whoa, slow down!  Where will we be in
another 15 years from now?

Not long ago, every memory cell was considered valuable real estate.  We
stored important information, known as flags, in a single bit.  Now, its
just an empty sea of bits.

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #14215