xinetd

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Fri Jun 21 21:20:05 CDT 2002

From: <dattaway at attaway.net>

> xinetd includes xconv.pl perl script that will convert your hosts.allow
> and hosts.deny files into xinetd.conf format.  Run it in your /etc
> directory and redirect the output to xinetd.conf

The deal is that my old server was built on probably 5.2, maybe earlier, and
though it's running 7.2 (.3?) all of it's configurations are things that
have been converted and/or updated like that.  I've noticed that sometimes
RedHat will leave an old tool or configuration file intact when it upgrades,
and may be put some kludge in place that makes it compatible with the new
stuff instead of actually converting to the new format.

For instance, the rc.local script from 5.2 was pretty long, but for a
"server" install of 7.2 it's empty except for a comment header.  My upgraded
7.2 box still has all that stuff in there, but the new one doesn't.