Redhat and Mandrake

The Morleys morley at cheerful.com
Thu Jun 20 22:04:28 CDT 2002

On Thursday 20 June 2002 04:02 pm, Ian wrote:
> I am new to the Linux OS. What I want to know is the difference between
> RedHat and Mandrake.

I assume you want to know the difference you will see from and end user
standpoint.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Mandrake has done a lot more work in
creating a nicer end user experience.  By end user I am talking the typical
desktop user.  They have created some user tools that make configuring and
changing your system more of a point and click operation.  They also DO a lot
more for the end user.  If you have Mandrake 8.0 or above you can go to
Mandrake's site and get rpm's for KDE 3.0 and 3.01. They are a snap to
install. I know you can get RH rpms but the company doesn't officially put
out any nice enduser updates like this.  Mandrake also has a urpmi command
line utility for installing rpms.  Simply open up a terminal, type urpmi
rpmnamehere.rpm and the system will take care of either finding dependencies
or telling you what dependencies the package has.  It's a very nice utility.

Hope that gives you some of what you want.

timm