grub configuration tool

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jun 20 15:13:17 CDT 2002

Because GRUB is much easier to maintain. ;')

> >  Does anyone know of a GRUB configuration GUI tool?  Is there any
> > significant differences between the two?  This is just a
> test box, so
> > "working" is my only requirement, but it'd be good to know
> for future
> > reference.
>
> The grub configuration file is pretty easy to
> understand...all the core
> components (kernel & ramdisk image to boot, and any kernel parameters)
> will be the same between lilo and grub, the only difference is the
> config file syntax to specify them.
Umm... not exactly. The HDD specification is a little different

>The biggest difference between the
> two (from my perspective) is grub knows how to read the filesystem on
> the HDD (so you change the config files and it just works), while lilo
> needs to store references to the file's absolute sectors, so
> you have to
> "re-run" lilo after making any change.
That is the biggest plus.

Sample grub boot file:
root-user*>cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Linux 2.4.19 - Densmore Build
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi

title=Linux 2.4.19 - USB modularized
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19 root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi

title=Linux-SANE - Scanner capable kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinux-sane root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi

*names have been changed to protect the guilty.

HTH explain,
Brian