Apache confusion

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu Jun 20 03:04:38 CDT 2002

Try setting only the execute bit, e.g. 'chmod o-rw /home'.  For a
directory, the execute bit lets you traverse that part of the path.  The
read bit lets you list its contents.  If the permissions on /home are set
to 751 (rwxr-x--x) for instance, Apache should still be able to find
/home/USER/www while keeping /home (mostly) secure.

On a related note, does anyone know why file-level ACLs aren't a standard
part of Linux?  VMS had them when dirt was new.  Solaris and other Unixen
have had them for nearly as long.  A quick Google search shows what appear
to be several ACL projects in various stages of activity.