Apache Question

Bob Stocker bstocker at bloodtip.org
Wed Jun 19 04:18:34 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 07:12, hutchins at aphid.opus1.com wrote:
> Ok, if this works the file is attached, stripped of comments.
> ----

Hi there,
My recommendation, which hopefully will do something nice for you...
</IfDefine>

> User apache
> Group apache
>
> ServerAdmin root at localhost
>

> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"

add Indexes to Options here, unless you don't want index.htm(l) to be
accessible as http://your.domain.com/ or below.
> <Directory />
>     Options FollowSymLinks
>     AllowOverride None
> </Directory>

Get rid of this section:  "/var/www/html" has already been defined as
DocumentRoot, so this is redundant to the above.  I think I understand
what you're getting at - you only want indexes to be available in / and
other directories where specifically enabled, but directives are
recursive, so if you have Options Indexes in <Directory /foo> then
index.html will work in http://server.com/foo/bar/ and
http://server.com/foo/bar/baz/ as well unless disabled.
> <Directory "/var/www/html">
>
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
>
>     AllowOverride None
>
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>

Everything else looks okay to me, but Apache's picky and I could easily
be missing something.  Have you tried running 'httpd -X' and making a
few requests to see what kind of errors, if any, are thrown?

Good luck,
--Bob