I'm a "newbie", and Linux is rough --- Re: Wal-Mart shipping PC

plastic quart plasticquart at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 19 00:31:26 CDT 2002

Not that this is directly related to the comments below...

But, I'm an admittedly novice Linux user (I've installed it on a few
systems, but it has never been my primary OS). Anywho, I recently made an
attempt at installing Redhat Interchange on a system
(http://interchange.redhat.com), as some associates of mine are in need of
an ecommerce solution for a website.

Anyways, to make a long story long... I couldn't get it to setup for the
life of me. Like most things Linux, the documentation is just, IMO,
worthless.

Whereas, installing software on a windows machine is fairly painless and
fairly efficient (sure, you may not know exactly what is going on, but you
can't argue w/ something that works)... but looking at the scarce
documentation for Interchange (and Interchange's dependencies on other
things I haven't a clue about), well, it just put me off.

Instead of literally spending days trying to figure this thing out, I can
just integrate Miva Merchant into a website pretty painlessly.

Well, then again, perhaps my comments do coincide w/ the rest of this
discussion in that: Linux, in general, is not ready for mass consumption.