Wal-Mart shipping PCs with Lindows preinstalled

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Tue Jun 18 21:43:58 CDT 2002

Not trying to be condecending at all.  You are absolutely right.  There was
a time when I knew nothing about Linux.  Now I teach Linux classes for a
living.

There is a difference between you and the average user though.  You're
willing to take chances.  You understand that research may have to be done
if something doesn't work.  You're willing to ask why and then LISTEN to the
answer.  (or at least I assume these things about you)  At the first sign of
trouble the average user blames everyone but themselves and badmouths the
system, hardware and everyone else they can think of.  They expect the world
to spoon feed them and take care of everything and then whine and cry when
it doesn't happen.

Do you think I'm wrong?  I would invite any one of you to come spend an hour
or two in my Linux class (6pm - 10pm M-Th) and see what I'm talking about.
OH!  And please come durring the NFS lecture and watch me spend 4 whole
hours trying to get mountpoints across.

Maybe I'm just cynical because I'm teaching Linux this semester.  The CISCO
class seems to go much better. :)

Aaron

> I totally agree. I am what you would term a newbie to Linux and everyone
here has to admit that there was a time when they, too, were not infinitely
knowledgeable on Linux or Windows or any other OS for that matter. I admit
that most of what is discussed here regarding Linux goes over my head, but
does that mean that I can't comprehend topics and become somewhat of an
expert myself? Of course not. A condescending attitude towards those who are
less knowledgeable than yourself only breeds the kind of contempt that many
hold for the folks at M$.