Cable or DSL?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Jun 17 17:18:55 CDT 2002

In my experience working with both, there's a potential for DSL to be as
good as cable, but it's not usually installed that way in this area.
Especially if you are looking at the lowest price consumer grade offerings
from each company, which are priced equivalently at just under $50/mo with
fees and taxes, Cable is your better bet.

If you're running "real" servers, you will need the premium commercial
services, and DSL providers may be ahead of Cable in implementing that,
although Cable has the potential.  I think that the cable infrastructure is
ultimately a better one than the telco, because there's so much legacy
garbage in the physical cabling - rats nests of mis-labeled wiring with no
consistency of quality, the in-home wiring problems that have been
mentioned. etc.  Cable isn't burdened with that.

Both Cable and DSL were supposed to be able to offer phone service as well,
but both have stumbled so badly in the implementation that nobody even
mentions it any more.