Cable or DSL?

I am Spartacus spartacus at home.aafp.org
Mon Jun 17 15:20:37 CDT 2002

Since you're in Olathe, I am going to assume that your cable option is
provided by Comcast, not Time Warner.  That said, I would seriously
consider using SBC DSL as your solution rather than Comcast.  I was a
Time Warner cable modem user before I moved to Olathe, but when I asked
around about the same thing, I was told by many people that Comcast
cable modem access was not up to par with the service I had come to
expect with Time Warner.  For instance, I had been running a web site
from home via Time Warner, and when I looked at going with Comcast, they
specifically prohibit you from such traffic.  I don't know whether it is
merely policy, or if they actually have port 80 blocked off.
 Nonetheless, I went with SBC DSL.  While it was a pain to get it
initially set up, I am very happy with the service I have now.  Their
customer support kind of sucks, but aside from the initial setup, I have
not needed to call upon them for anything.

Word of advice: if you go with SBC, order the basic service first and
ask for the self-install kit.  That will save you a $200.00 on-site
installation fee which consists of a technician plugging your DSL modem
into the wall and attaching an ethernet cable between the modem and your
computer.  Then if you want to upgrade to the enhanced service later (5
static IP addresses) you just make a phone call and they can handle the
upgrade over the phone.  If you go for the enhanced service when you
first set up your account with them, they require the on-site install.

Shannon Merritt