performance sucks (at least mine does)

Marvin GodfatherofSoul Bellamy mbellamy at kc.rr.com
Thu Jun 13 21:54:41 CDT 2002

My home computer is terribly slow running KDE.  I didn't notice this
until I compared with a similar machine at work which is much faster.  I
assumed at first that the AMD chips was just slower 500 K-6 VS 450 PII.
 Well, I just tested a 200 Mhz Pentium machine at work with KDE and it
also beats my machine at home (both with Slack 8)!  Anyone have any tips
on diagnostics that I can use to figure out what the hell is going on?
 The only real difference that could account for my poor performance on
my home box is IDE VS SCSI.

Home box (custom) AMD K-6 500Mhz
SiS530 intergrated graphics
192MB RAM
256MB swap

I even compiled KDE from source, without much effect, but it did speed
up a *little*.  On the plus side, I'm much more impressed with how fast
Linux runs when it's set up right.