DNS Issues

chuckx chuckx at cold-sun.com
Thu Jun 6 22:08:49 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 03:17:16PM -0500, Gerald Combs wrote:
> If RR is running Cisco uBR equipment (and I'm pretty sure they are),
> they can block this at their end of the connection with the one-liner
> 'cable max-cpe 1':
>
>   http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/cable/bbccmref/bbcmts.htm#xtocid42
>
> The above link is an interesting read.  They can mess with your cable
> connection in all sorts of odd and interesting ways.

They do use Cisco UBRs.  They could set max-cpe to one, but they wouldn't.
That would make as much sense as pulling the power cord out of one of the
routers.  Yes, it's definitely possible, but it would immediately detriment
the service that they provide to their customers.

If they did set max-cpe to 1 on the routers, it would have no effect when
the modems are configured to allow multiple hosts.  So, obviously they have
the max-cpe set to a value greater than 1.  It must be at least 4 to allow
for the 4 CPE connections that are available to residential customers.

In any case, it's obvious that they can mess with your cable connection in
odd and interesting ways.  You're using their network.  If you provided a
network connection to a neigbor via a router in your home, you could
sniff their traffic, cut off their connection, etc.  It's the same situation
with RR and their customers.

--
- chuckx | Charles K. Lee II -
- chuckx at cold-sun.com -