What's wrong with the market?

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at NITCKC.USDA.Gov
Thu Jun 6 16:31:14 CDT 2002

Politics aside, lets have a little civics lesson.  The popular vote doesn't
mean much.  First of all we don't count all the votes, so we don't know. A
state stops counting once the outcome is determined.  You might count 2 million
votes out of 3.5 million, and if the 2 million went to one canidate, they stop.
All of the remaining 1.5 million could go to the other canidate.  Since they
weren't counted they don't get inserted in the numbers that the press reports.

The constitution institutes the electoral system to determine who is president.
This protects less populated state like KS from being shoved around by the more
populated states like CA.  To win the race by the rules you must win the most
electorate, not the most votes.

The supreme court may have overstepped its bounds.  I won't make a comment on
that.  The fact is after the recounts were done in FL, Bush won the state, so
the result would have been the same.

If it makes you feel better to say that Gore won the popular vote, then you
need to wake up and learn the system.  If you don't like where government is,
then try participating in the system.  Here is what you need to do.
        1) VOTE -- most people don't, and the loudest whineres in my experience
                   never have
        2) Become active in a political orginization that supports your views
           on policy
        3) Run for office -- I know many on this list are too young to run for
                             national office, but many can run at the state
                             level

I get tired of the whining.  We have less than half of the eligible voters
vote, but everyone thinks they have a say.  People say the government doesn't
represent the people, and they are right.  They represent the voters.  It is
the voters who put them into office.  Canidates do not care what people who
don't vote think, because they aren't significant in there quest for office.

--
Jason D. Runyan
Mid-Range Systems Administrator

On Jun 06 12:07, IOCON at aol.com wrote:
> Umm excuse me. Al Gore won the popular vote, so I hate to burst your bubble, the supreme court
did put the prez  in office. But I hate to use the LUG for political arguement, especialy sense the
topic is so important.