DNS Issues

ald ald at dovienya.net
Tue Jun 4 22:18:01 CDT 2002

I'm not sure how much configuration Verisign offers you.

I use Go Daddy ($8 or $9 a year, I think), which lets you set the name
servers.  I just run a DNS name server on my computer, and give Go Daddy
my current RR IP (which hasn't changed) and the IP of the server of a
friend. If my RR IP ever changes, I can update the DNS entry on Go
Daddy's website (it takes 15-24 hours for the update to kick in) so it
points at my computer again and tell my friend so he can update his entry.

What I like most about the setup is that it's really cheap, but I have a
great deal of control.  I can easily add/delete/change entries with a text
editor instead of having to use some company's website and then wait for
them to get around to actually doing the changes.

~adam davis