migration from mainframe to web

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jun 4 13:29:56 CDT 2002

Yeah, I was wondering why he wanted to migrate off an S/390
myself. Just load up a couple of Linux VMs: one with the insecure data,
one running the secure server, and heck throw in one running the db
backend ,
and maybe one that holds the secure keys. I'd recommend postgres though
for the
db. It will scale much better than MySQL. It has more capabilities and
is faster,
too. Not that MySQL isn't a great db, and getter better all the time.
One nice
benefit here is you could have a three more VMs sitting there ready to
go in case
on went down for whatever reason. You could probably also have some
technique to
make sure you also have a "hot standby" sitting out there on the S/390.
Talk about
your redundant failsafe webserver. True this isn't something to include
as part of
a DR plan, but it would make the webserver more resilient.

Damn, I wish I had an S/390 to run my web services on.

Brian