blowing off microsoft stink

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Mon Jun 3 14:48:46 CDT 2002

Hmmm, I highly doubt that. First, you can't put an nVidia graphics card in a
386, there is no AGP or PCI slots available (and a 386 doesn't have enough juice
to push it). Second, the X-box has an Intel 733Mhz PIII in them, this will run
circles around that 386 and you WILL notice the difference. Third, you can't put
a Dolby Digital 5.1 soundcard in a 386, same reason - no PCI slots. Four, where
would you hook the four game controllers up to a on a 386? Five, all the 386
motherboards I worked with would not be able to handle an 8GB hard drive. Hell,
it wasn't until after the Pentium mobos that they were able to get past the 2GB
limit.

However, if you meant 386 as in Intel's x86 architecture, then you should have
specified x86. Then again, if you were referring to the architecture and
assuming you meant to put BSD with some sort of Xbox OS emulator on a modern x86
PC that is as fast  as a 733MHz PIII, has a DD5.1 soundcard, an nVidia GeForce
III graphics card, a DVD-ROM drive, 4 game controller ports, and an 8+ GB Hard
drive. Do you really think you can scrap all that together for under $199? Good
luck... ;-P

-Jeremy