State of wireless in KC?

Kurt Kessler kessler2k at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 23:52:39 CDT 2002

LOL! Oh I have you beat on that one. The previous
company I worked for (that shall remain nameless), had
14 locations around KC. Believe it or not, they used
AOHell (i am NOT kidding) for their connectivity. It
took me a full 6 months to convince them just to
switch to a local dialup ISP that provided webmail.
And the new one was $7/mo cheaper per account!!! My
god they were scared to death that someone might have
to learn something new (Virus Express and Internet
Exploiter)... It finally happened, and they even
overlapped it so that all the employees had a full
month to get used to the new ISP. What did I get out
of it by pushing the idea? Several months worth of
calls asking why "we used Internet Explorer as our
ISP, and KCWeb for our email?" and "how do I save my
password so I don't have to keep typing it in?" :p
Truly amazing...

As luck would have it, they are only now starting to
put DSL or cable in the locations since fast access to
the secure sites is needed... too little too late...