wireless PCMCIA card

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Jul 31 18:56:36 CDT 2002

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, I am Spartacus wrote:

> i'm looking to buy a wireless router and several wireless cards for my
> home network.  the biggest obstacle i'm coming up against is finding a
> PCMCIA wireless card that will work on my laptop running linux.  all of
> them that i've found at best buy seem to require windows.  does anyone
> have or know of a PCMCIA card that has been proven under linux?

As far as I know, just about any wireless card should work under Linux.
Most of them at CompUSA, etc., either use the prism or orinoco chipset.
The pcmcia cards use the pcmcia-cs drivers and if the box includes a
pcmcia like adapter (a crippled pcmcia chipset,) it will use the plx
driver.  All work fine with the free wlan software.  Also included in the
wlan scripts is a switch to flip encryption keys around every several
seconds.  Highly secure.

I got the linksys wpc11 card and works rather well.  If it says 802.11, it
should work as that's the standard everyone demands.