tux flag flying proud

crash3m at trelane.net crash3m at trelane.net
Tue Jul 30 14:31:09 CDT 2002

If anyone is interested in a flag feel free to contact me directly...
for those of you more adventerous here it is... If it doesn't make sense
blame it on the lack of caffiene.

The base material is a 'white' canvas, I say 'white' because its more
off-white than it is white.  I seal it with JoSonja's all purpose
sealer.  I use Ceramcoat latex paints with a little bit of water to
prevent cracking.  The weather sealer is...well I dont recall as I only
used it the one time, it's just a spray on varnish anyway.  As far as
the pattern goes, Shannon picked out the penguin and told me the logo he
wanted on it, I made a small copy of it using TheGimp for his approval,
a few modifications later we were in agreement.  (I'd have to look to
see if I still have that tux.)  To get it from the tiny 3"x5" size that
it was I used a funny machine called a projectoscope.  Its basically a
light with a mirror.  This unit usually used a 60w bulb but I would
havehad to wait until night to do it as it just wasn't bright enough.
I put a 100w bulb in it and did 1/2 of it, then let the machine cool.
The lettering I did a bit differently.  I blew them up to full size
(took a few tries to get it right) and printed them out.  They came out
on several pages.  I used a straight edge to cut them and scotch tape
to attach them all together.  I hand cut them with a singe edged razor.
To transfer I first attached it to the flag using some tape so it
wouldnt move.  I used a pencil to trace it on.  I only traced the tux
on one side of it.  After I had the tux roughed in I flipped it over
and traced the other side...  I figured if the tux's didnt face the
same way it might look funny in the sun, so I tried my hardest to make
it look right in all aspects of lighting.

Pardon the rambling I'm still sleeping and hungry :)

ML