portals

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Mon Jul 29 22:55:09 CDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Bradley Miller wrote:

> Freshmeat reminds me of a field of broken dreams . . . thousands enter and
> only a few reach fruition.  The ones that really get me are the ones like
> "project blah blah and will blah blah" and code releases is ZILCH.   Or the
> ones that are just like other projects half started, half great ideas . . .
> none of which is ever completed.
>
> Freshmeat really should clear out the dead wood.
> -- Bradley Miller

Freshmeat used to have the worst search engine.  At least they have
improved on that.

Fortunately, freshmeat allows sorting by popularity and other attributes
With a concise description of each, the homepage is a click away for
interesting packages.  Freshmeat is the second place I go for things I
want to find.  The first is gentoo's command line search feature that
prints out an even more concise list with homepage links matching the
description.