Printing (with turboprint or without) inability

Rusty kujayhawkbb at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 18:31:13 CDT 2002

I'm trying get printing to work with RH 7.3 and a *new* Canon S520
printer. I read there isn't any Canon support for Linux drivers, but
also found Turboprint (www.turboprint.de) that is supposed to have full
support for that model. I'm using the USB connection with the printer.
(BTW, it works nice under the MS product).

To make a long story short, I can't get the printer to work. I went
thru all the steps I can figure out in turboprint...lpd is running on
my RH box, all steps done as root, and I still get (I think, not at the
box now, it was late last night when I did this) printer not found, and
I think some permission error (?).

I haven't had any success with Linux printing yet, and was hoping this
would be a better experience. Do I need to install CUPS and turn off
LPD? Do I need to buy a parallel cable and use lpt1 instead of the usb
port? (I'm using a USB mouse, so I assumed (*gulp*) that was sufficient
for the printer, too. Has anyone used turboprint that can give me
pointers? I hate having to save stuff and go print from windows!

Hoping someone will be able to clue me in. And TIA for the assistance.

Rusty