XDMCP server for Linux

L. Adrian Griffis adrian at nerds.org
Sun Jul 28 20:11:58 CDT 2002

On Sun, 28 Jul 2002, Marvin [GodfatherofSoul] Bellamy wrote:
> I'm trying to find the Linux equivalent of an XDMCP server like MI/X,
> Hummingbird, or Excursion.  Is anyone away of any products?  After
> getting my home network going, I realized I didn't know how to bring up
> my network server's X display from my Linux workstation.  I'm not
> interested in VNC, though it might be the only option I have.  As cool
> as XDMCP is, I'm surprised at how little open source software is a
> available on the server/workstation/initiator side.

Actually, most display managers are willing to function as XDMCP servers.
By display manager, I mean the program that actually creates the login
screen when you are at the console for you Unix/Linux box.  The
traditional display manager is "xdm".  "xdm" has the advantage of being
written by people who understand the importance of documenting things
in "man" pages.  If you are a Gnome user, you should look for "gdm", but
you should note that the clowns who wrote "gdm" don't understand why it
is important to make documentation availible in a format that can be used
even if a lot of your system isn't working.  There really aren't any
useful "man" pages for Gnome.  Ironicly enough, you will be able to get
to their user friendly documentation in a GUI based documentation viewer
once you have actually gotten it all to work right.  The Gnome folks
deserve to be terribly embarrassed about this.  As a hint, though, you
may be able to find something useful buried in "/etc/X11" to turn on the
XDMCP service in "xdm".  I'm guessing the KDE version is "kdm", but I've
never tried to set up XDMCP under KDE.

Adrian