building a firewall

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Sat Jul 27 15:03:29 CDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Marvin [GodfatherofSoul] Bellamy wrote:

> I know this is a LUG, but use OpenBSD for your firewall, especially if
> you're a beginner.  OpenBSD is designed from the ground up to be a
> secure distro and installation is easy if you're not worried about X.
>  Plus, since so many residential networkers use it there's a ton of
> documentation out there to get you going.

OpenBSD's firewall rules are a lot easier to read and write (for me, at
least).  I can grok a file full of

  pass in quick on $outside proto tcp from any to any port = www

a lot faster than a file full of

  iptables -A tcp_packets -p TCP -s 0/0 --dport 80 -j allowed

particularly when it's been 6 months since I looked at my firewall's
configuration file, and a year since I looked at the documentation.