Samba continued . . .

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sat Jul 27 03:17:47 CDT 2002

At 10:09 PM 7/26/02 -0500, zscoundrel wrote:
>Well, of course!  but you may want to play with it a bit more first.
>
>I know a couple of proprietary file systems will mount read-only under
>Linux because they haven't quite completely reverse engineered the file
>system for writing.  Reading is usually non-destructive, while writing
>to a foreign OS formatted drive can be very tricky.

Actually I was looking through some thing online and I don't know why for
sure it couldn't work for writing.  Actually, let me re-phrase that.  I can
read/write/modify when I'm logged in as root on that partition.  It's weird
I can't chown anyhing on there as root . . . so it goes.

>Although I wasn't aware that the file system used for 'doze98 was one of
>the ones that mounted read only.

Actually it reports back as Win95 Fat32?

>Are you sure this wasn't an NT, 2k or XP formatted drive?

I don't think so . . . but don't know for sure.