Samba continued . . .

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sat Jul 27 02:36:01 CDT 2002

Ok -- I think I've narrowed this down a bit.

Drive # 2 in my system is a Win98 formatted drive.  I wanted to leave it
that way just for giggles . . . I didn't know what was on it.  Mandrake
mounted it as /mnt/windows.  It's owned by root.  I can't touch it unless I
log in as root.  I guess I must have copied MP3's from my login directory
to that drive . . . I swore I copied them direct to the Samba mapping, but
from what I've tried, I must have been in error.

So, the short answer is, you can't map a Win98 (or any other OS I'm
assuming??) drive to Samba because the permissions will be wrong.  You can
read, but you can't write.  In a way it makes sense . . .

I guess what I'll do is just partition that other 2nd drive as a Linux
native format and that should solve the problem.  Right?

-- Bradley Miller