iptables logging

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 26 14:04:58 CDT 2002

Hello:

I am trying to log some of the traffic that goes
through a firewall I am building and I would like to
know why is the log being displayed on the console?

This is what my syslog.conf file look like:

# kern.*             /dev/console

note here that is commented out.

This is the line I added:
kern.warn           /var/log/firewall.log

The log line in the fw script:
iptables -A FORWARD -o eth2 -j LOG --log-level 4
--log-prefix "Outgoing Traffic "

When I run the firewall script all the log appear on
the screen. I checked the firewall.log file and the
samething on the screen appears here (as expected). If
I stop the script the logging stops.

Any thoughts?

=====
"An ounce of gold cannot buy an ounce of time."
- Anonymous

www.whmicro.com