programming languages

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Jul 25 21:49:18 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, J. Eric Gilliland wrote:

> So, here is a question.  Keep in mind that I am a
> non-programmer who does not work in the field at all.  If I
> was going to learn one language, simply to play around with
> and for my own edification, which language should I learn?

For one's own use and maximum learning?  And fun too?

Assembly.  It forces you to learn about the hardware and start from
scratch with everything.  You are in complete control and the slightest
mistakes have grave consequences.  When moving up to the structured
languages, one can use this experience as an eye to recognize serious
bloat and resource wastefullness.  Assembly is the most basic of
languages, with few instructions, much like legos.  You can build an
mansion with it if so inclined and it will be a true work of art.  As with
works of art, many consider the basics as a waste of time when there are
more advanced solutions available.

But have you ever wanted your computer program to fly at 4 billion lines
per second?  With assembly, that is the norm with a 2GHz processor.  Write
a game with it and your eyes will melt with the intense energy.