job search

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Thu Jul 25 21:37:22 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:14:39 -0500, Brian Densmore wrote:
>I'm sure he did. spellchecker's don't catch appropriately spelled but
>incorrectly used words. Like "collage" instead of "college".
>Spellcheckers are no substitute for proof-reading

Well, since we have clarified in chorus voice now that we
are capable of ripping a simple request into shreds, let
me add the two cents: "fundimental" and "feild" would
pass no spelchekker I've ever encountered.

The point being, mac ten, that you should be prepared to
learn a lot quickly, and take none of it personally.

You raised a good point, mac ten:

I like the idea of an apprenticeship into Linux. That's how
all of us learn Linux, informally poking and pushing at it until
something happens, searching and browsing someone else's
experiences and how-tos written by people like ourselves.

Setting apprenticeship up formally would be kinda appropriate
for the nature of open source development. Maybe it already
exists?

Much more appropriate than licensing and certification;
'Book knowledge' don't get y'far in the real world, like the one
I just heard about the guy whose code filled a twelve-piece array
with portions of a SQL statement, then assembled it out of
the array into a string and submitted it to the database. There
was no other use for that array. That's the kind of stuff you do
if you learned how to code from a book...

-jds