Time Server

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu Jul 25 14:06:35 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, jose sanchez wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Does someone knows of a time server that I can use to
> synchronize my linux box at boot time?

There are a bunch listed at www.ntp.org, a.k.a. www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp.
A possibly better alternative is to use your provider - most ISPs enable
NTP on their routers.  This is convenient for them, since they can
correlate router log messages accurately.  It's convenient for you, since
you have a low-latency time source just a few milliseconds away.

Tru running "ntpdate -q" against a traceroute output, e.g.

  traceroute -n www.cnn.com | head -5 | awk '{print $2}' |     xargs -n 1 ntpdate -q

You'll usually find an NTP server close by.