"Free" cable

dattaway at attaway.net dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Jul 17 18:11:19 CDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Adam Davis wrote:

> I remember a k in there... But the dB looks right.
>
> So you're saying my TVs can deal with a weaker signal, but the cable modem
> can't?  I guess that makes sense.
>
> Is it then possible to get a splitter with a 1 or 2 dB output that I can
> send to the cable modem, then?  Or would that make any difference, with
> the strangling I know the modem does on my speeds?

I believe the splitters with high dB ratings are for large installations.
If you have 50 televisions at a site and don't want to pull down the
signal from the main cable much, use one with higher attenuation.  If you
just have a cablemodem and a television, get a splitter with the lowest dB
loss.

I remember when the Silo superstores closed out and we got their display
shelf hardware.  Lots of splitters with high dB ratings.  In houses, I see
splitters with low dB attenuation with few outlets.

Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150