Distro update methods [was RE: market continues to dive!]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jul 16 13:14:04 CDT 2002

You seriously need to check out gentoo. It use a portage system, similar
to the
ports method used by FreeBSD. And if that doesn't suit you, you should
check out
FreeBSD. I didn't like it when I tried it, but it was a long time ago.
But many
people do like it. It is a good OS, with a good updating methodology. I
really wish
Linux had one, other than portage. Don't get me wrong, I really like
portage, but
Linux needs one that can do the same thing for compiled packages. So if
you want to
make your own please take the portage system as your base. ;')

Brian